idoits guilde to platforms
ok, i guess you get the idiots guide, its possably not the best ,or the right way, its my way, it works for me,it may well work for you. i needed to make a set off station platforms, i carnt cast them in concreat, as the railways raised up on wood, so the concreat will splilt/crack..woods not a option ,for it will warp/twist, and i carnt get the level off detail requaired.. so..plastic. given the sucess off the experiment with the goods yard, i dedcided to go with upvc, sofit /faceier bords for houses.. i whent to b=q..£45 per lenght, one lenght per platform..£90..
thats do able, given that they will last ,and i wont haveto do it again, except for maintansce, painting ect.. but.
there are industrial estates every were.. on a local one, i found a unit selling uvpc doors/windows/roofline and guttering, infact anything house wise in plastic.. and after i made my self know, and explained what i was after, AND more importantly What it was for, they couldnt have been more helpfull.. a garden railway eh mate?
heres some scratched/marked/scrap.. £10 per lenght.. THAT will do nicely..ta very much
ok, haveing got them home, (take a wood saw, a penclie. ) i measured them out.. and used a jig saw with a fine toothed blade(metal) it cuts like a dream,its only foam bord.. it loves super glue.. and the scrap foambord from a freindly sign maker/surpllyer stick to it well
ok haveing cut the plastic to the correct sizes, i washed all the much off it, imeasured how big i wanted the platform off the ground, 35mm i think,, so it would require a front wall off 35mm, scribed with bricks, and 10ft long min..and a rear wall, which will be seen on both sides, considably highter, i wanted it at chest hight, for a g scale figure, agian, 10ft long.. yes i know a hell off a lot off g scale bricks..
so in the shed, we cut the plastic sheets to lenght and started to scribe in the bricks.. and to asembel out side when the weather was nice..
it was a long job, but worth it, i built a ramp at one end, and a wal at the other
i scribed the sofit bord with my trusty screwdriver, after marking out all the flags in pencile,its easy to correct a pencewil line, not a saw mark, or scribe line.. and started to ponder lighting.. i used the flat edge off a razor saw to rough up the saurface, ideally we want to lose the shinniy surfaces ,and only see a rough, flat surface, not only will it enable the spry paint to stick, it wil make the flags look better..
then it was a coat off gray car prima paint, in rattel spry cans form a £ shop.. and the fun begins ,i painted each brick sepertly, and a slightly random differnt colour.. yes, but dam it looks good.
the paltform is seured by large screws underneith ,locking it in places, its getting heavey, and rather large to move around, so painting was done, in plasce, on the rialway..i hope you agree, worth the effort
work started on the second platform, the main platfrom, which the station building will sit, construction was the same AS THE 1ST,except that it wasnt as detailed at the back,you carnt see it, so its just plane walling, and the rear wall had a gap init for the building to sit in, ah,the building, Ian.Sharples wonderfull AWARD WINNING station building, he scrach built and gave to me, something to treasure and protrect.. i made a weather sheild box to go over it, to protect it from the worst off british weather, i made the box from the remains off the upvc sofit bord, left over from thre contstruction off the platfroms, the main platform is secured in places by 2 large screws ,under the building, power is feed into the building, via the 12 volt ring main, the benches are Genuine LGB benches, station lamps are to be added soon..
bit more progress , today i got the station gads lamps installed, they are cast resin, brass core ,12 volt bulbs.. also got a hole cut for the subway..i did mention the subway didnt i..
got the balasting done, and made progress on one off the subway entransces